Thursday, 8 May 2008

Cats on Leashes

Have you ever seen a cat being walked on a leash? If so, then you have also probably experienced the cognitive dissonance that this image evokes. There is just something not right about it at all. See how terrified this cat looks?

Not too long ago, my friend Ryan snapped this shot of our friend Florian at the National Mall in Washington, D.C. This kitty was certainly not on his way to an animal rights protest.



I know that my parents' cat, Callie, would never stand for this. It's bad enough that this huntress can't go outside. But to put her on a leash so she can? This reminds me of a Deep Thought by Jack Handy that goes,

"One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no,' I said. 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late."

This is exactly how cats must feel when harnessed up: the victim of some cruel joke. The best they can do for Callie is let her roam around by the pool. She seems happy enough. I promise, Callie, no matter what, I will never put you on a leash.

No comments: