Wednesday, 7 May 2008

Barack Obama

My generation loves Barack Obama. This is mainly because he is the only politician and perhaps even among the few people in our lives who hasn't (yet) bullshitted us. As a recently turned 26-year-old, I can say that I'm elated to be free from the 18-25 age bracket, which, in my opinion, should just be re-named the "bullshit years" on any survey. These are the years wherein we enter adulthood with the belief that every other adult supports our earnest and idealistic desires to heal the world, and wherein we come to face the ugly truth that many of them don't because they never learned, or at least have forgotten how, to share. During these years, we learn with malignant disappointment that many people just don't care, and will do or say just about anything to keep care from happening.

At 26, the bullshit in my life certainly hasn't subsided; I think by this point I've just acclimated to it, or always expect it, or can call it from afar. But once in awhile, it's really nice not to feel superfluously defensive. I know Barack Obama isn't perfect but I also know that his intentions are certainly not to kick over my generations' sandcastles. He is down with the spirited, idealistic, and peace-loving soul (remember what it was like: you'll find it deep inside) in all of us.



"I don't think I've encountered anyone with a greater combination of heart, charisma, brilliance, and potential than Barack Obama." _ Laurence Tribe, Harvard Law School

No comments: