Monday, 19 May 2008

Anna's gone and Edinburgh

After a lovely dinner of mussels, white wine, and chips with mayo, I just unfortunately had to say good-bye to one of the most wonderful people I've ever met. I was lucky enough to have had Anna from Belgium (originally from Kazakhstan) as my across-the-hall neighbor since January. She lavished upon me Belgian chocolate nearly every other weekend and is kind enough to be hosting me in Brussels in July, where I plan to eat more chocolate and drink LOTS of beer, and from where I plan to bring back a case of the prized Westvleteren back to Seattle for my bro, Alejandro, Kevin, Rodney, Tim, and Jimmy to celebrate the purchase of Big Al's brewery.

As if going out to dinner wasn't enough of a risk, I also realize it's an extremely unwise decision to be taking a trip to Edinburgh tomorrow but hell I'm doing it anyway. I'm flying over to Scotland (a short 25-minute jump across the Irish Sea) with my friend Jamie to my old home town for Erin's 32nd birthday! We'll be celebrating at the Elephant House, one of the best coffee houses in the world, where J.K. Rowling first began to scribble the Harry Potter novels on a napkin. Then we're off to the pubs, maybe good old Sandy Bells, the non-touristy refuge and home of traditional Scottish folk music jam sessions. The ladies (friends from seminary days) are actually there on business solving the world's problems with the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. I on the other hand will be revisiting some of my old haunts- the Divinity School to pop in and say hi to my old Barthian buddy John McDowell, Edinburgh Castle, the Castle gardens, and Royal Mile Whiskeys, of course.

See you on Thursday!

No comments: